ARTS START UP SEMINAR
Have you always wanted to put on a show at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater? Do you dream of starting your own dance company? Do you aspire to bring your favorite musician to your favorite stage? Do you know just the movies to build the next Bloomington film festival? The Arts Start Up Seminar connects the expertise of the BCT staff and partners to community members who want to create the next big thing in Bloomington. Applying the philosophy and business approach of entrepreneurship and the startup industry, the seminar is an annual day-long workshop, usually held in the spring, that offers enterprising artists, organizers, and promoters the opportunity to learn the basics of imagining, planning, and executing a successful event.
This seminar is ideal for people who have an idea they want to implement but is also open to those interested in the concepts discussed. It includes information specific to planning events at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, but the majority of the content focuses on event conceptualization and planning in general. Those who complete the workshop are eligible for entry into the Arts Start Up Competition, which selects promising ideas for further coaching and development and ultimately chooses winning entries that will receive rent-free use of the theater to launch new programming at the BCT.
Arts Start Up Competition Timeline:
- March – Seminar is hosted by BCT staff and community partners.
- September – Event proposals are due.
- October – Winning proposals are announced.
Events must take place in the following calendar year.
BCT MOVIE PARTNER PROGRAM
The Buskirk-Chumley Theater began as the Indiana Theatre, a silent movie house, in 1922. We honor this legacy by offering the BCT Movie Partner Program to encourage film events at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater on Sunday afternoons and evenings. For only the cost of labor and projection equipment ($400 in most cases), this program enables anyone with an interest in film to screen a movie at the BCT on a Sunday without the usual rental fee. Options include organizing a fundraising event, sharing a documentary about an important issue, hosting a film festival, or developing a creative arts event with a focus on film.
Interested in becoming a movie partner? Here are a few things you need to know:
- Your contract cannot be confirmed more than 60 days in advance, although you are welcome to express interest in a date at any time so it can be noted on our booking calendar.
- We host a church service every Sunday morning, so you will not be able to access the building before 1pm.
- Although creative programs are encouraged, film must be the primary aspect of your event, with at least 70% of the event focused on the screening.
- We can advise you on obtaining the licensing for your film, if needed.
- Our online availability calendar can tell you what dates are still available for your event.
A RED CARPET AFFAIR FILM COMPETITION
Each year, the BCT hosts a fundraiser and celebration of film that includes a regional film competition and a screening of the Academy Awards ceremony. The winner of the A Red Carpet Affair competition is awarded a rent-free use of the theater during the upcoming summer for a film-related event. Entries for the film competition are generally accepted beginning in October or November and the ceremony is usually screened in February or March.
For more information on these programs or to reserve a date for your film, please contact Executive Director Danielle McClelland at 812.323.3022 or firstname.lastname@example.org.